GMU Logo
Office of Admissions
Ask the Patriot

Non-Degree: Frequently Asked Questions

Please select a category below to view frequently asked questions.

Non-Degree Application FAQ


What do I do if I forget my application login and PIN?

Select the link which reads “Forgot your user name or password” on either the undergraduate or graduate application page (whichever applies to your application). The system will prompt you for information to provide you with your login.

When do I get my G-number?

The G-number is a unique number assigned to all applicants by confirmation email within 24-48 hours of the submission of the application. Ensure the email has not been placed in your spam folder if you do not see it within the 2 day timeframe.

Am I guaranteed admission to a specific class?

Non-degree students are not guaranteed enrollment in any particular course. Please keep in mind that earlier registration is given to degree-seeking students, since they must complete degree objectives to graduate within a certain timeframe.

How do I check to see which courses are available before I apply?

The schedule of courses is available as a search engine here. You may customize the filters to find the course(s) that may interest you by campus location, subject, or by instructor. You do not need to be a current student to use the course schedule search engine.

Will admission to non-degree study improve/guarantee my entry to a degree program?

Admission into non-degree study does not guarantee admission into degree programs, but offers the opportunity to interact with Mason faculty and administrators. All classes taken in non-degree study will receive grades that will later be evaluated if you decide to apply to a degree program.


What documents must I submit for non-degree admission?

All applications require the submission of official transcripts from all prior colleges attended. Non-degree graduate applications to the College of Science, Volgenau School of Engineering, and the School of Public Policy require additional documents. For a full list of requirements for these academic units, please contact the appropriate graduate admissions office.

I attended a community college for a few semesters, but the courses and grades show on my school’s transcripts. Do I need to send you the other records too?

Yes. You must submit all transcripts from your prior institutions in order to complete your application and receive a decision notice.

I’ve sent my transcripts, but they’re not showing up in the system. Where did they go?

Please ensure you’ve sent all transcripts and supporting documents to:
George Mason Admissions
4400 University Dr. MS 3A4
Fairfax, VA 22030

Documents sent to other mail stop numbers on campus will not necessarily show up in your application status. Please keep in mind it can take 1-2 weeks for documents to be received and matched with your application.

My name has changed since I attended school. Will that cause problems with my documents?

This may delay the receipt of your documents if we do not have your name change on file in your application. If possible, please ensure your records office places your G-number on the record, or indicates a name-change.

Will you accept electronic copies of my transcripts?

As long as they’re sent by your university’s records office, we will accept them. Please have all electronic copies forwarded to

Fee Payment

I selected the fee waiver on my application instead of paying. How can I pay my application fee?

You will need to file this form to complete your payment and your application: You can submit it either via fax or by scanned email attachment to

Application Status

How can I check my application status?

Visit and input your application login information in order to check your application status. You’ll be able to view documents required to receive a decision, or for domicile purposes.

How quickly do I receive my decision?

Decisions are made in a timely manner (usually within 2 weeks) when all required application materials are received. All official admissions decisions are communicated via the US Postal service to your address of record.


I want to take a graduate course, but I applied as an undergraduate non-degree student. What can I do?

Applications to graduate and undergraduate non-degree have separate requirements and different fees. We are happy to accommodate changes in your academic interest within the same academic standing, but we cannot move an undergraduate application to graduate or vice versa; you will need to re-apply and request your first application be canceled.


Can I take more than one subject type at the non-degree graduate level?

No, admission to non-degree study allows you to enroll in courses found within the academic unit to which you are admitted. Should you wish to take courses from another unit, you must request special permission from the unit to which you are admitted.

May I take undergraduate courses as a graduate student?

Yes. If admitted, you are eligible to register for undergraduate courses, though you will be assessed tuition at the graduate rate for all courses for which you register. Note that your application will be evaluated based upon graduate-level standards.

Admitted Non-Degree Student FAQ

Accepting your Offer

Do I have to pay an enrollment deposit?

Undergraduate Non-degree students are generally enrolled automatically, so no deposit is required. Please note: this is not the same for all graduate units. Please follow the instructions received in your offer of admission to ensure your ability to register.

How do I create my account?

First visit and select the first option “To activate your Patriot Pass account…” Next, fill in the appropriate fields with information from your letter of admission. Follow the prompts to create a secure account and finalize account creation. This login information will give you access to, which is our student self-service website.

Where do I sign up for my email?

Visit for instructions on setting up your account.

Student Services

Will I receive a student ID?

Once you’ve registered for at least one class, you can visit the Mason ID office to obtain your student ID.

Will I have access to the university library?

As long as you’re registered for at least one class, you will have access to the Mason library system and can check out books.

Do I get gym access?

Non-degree students can sign up for a gym membership for a nominal fee per semester of enrollment. You can find details here:


How can I register for classes?

Please visit the Registrar’s webpage for more information regarding registration:

I want to register for a class, but the system says I’m missing a pre-requisite. How can I register?

You must demonstrate you’ve completed the pre-requisite; usually showing a copy of your transcripts from your prior institution(s) will suffice. Contact the department which offers the course to obtain more information on pre-requisite course requests.

How many credits may I take each semester?

The maximum number of credit hours for non-degree study is 10 per semester.