Mason-FCPS Math Dual Enrollment Program - Spring 2015
The George Mason University Department of Mathematical Sciences partnership with Fairfax County Public Schools offers exceptionally talented high school students the opportunity to earn advanced university level mathematics credit. All courses are taught by Mason affiliate faculty and are offered on-site in FCPS high schools.
George Mason University will consider highly qualified juniors and seniors for participation in the dual enrollment program. The Admissions Committee will offer admission to students who have demonstrated the preparation and maturity indicative of the potential to succeed in Mason’s rigorous coursework. The applicant’s entire secondary academic record will be considered in the selection process and not all applicants will be offered admission. Enrollment in a FCPS math course does not constitute admission to George Mason University.
Courses of Instruction
MATH 203-601 Linear Algebra (3) CRN: 21469
MATH 214-601 Elementary Differential Equations (3) CRN: 21472 (TJHSST students only)
MATH 351-601 Probability (3) CRN: 21473 (TJHSST students only)
George Mason University and Fairfax County Public Schools operate on different academic calendars. Participation in the dual enrollment program requires FCPS students and parents to adhere to earlier University deadlines.
Application Process - Spring 2015
Students who were admitted and enrolled in a MASON-FCPS Math Dual Enrollment course during the fall 2014 semester are not required to re-apply. Rather, these continuing students should follow the instructions outlined in #5 and #6 below. All new applicants are required to successfully complete the application process (#1-6 below). The deadline for submission of all materials for all students is February 6, 2015.
- Complete the Undergraduate Studies online admission application at: admissions.gmu.edu/ApplyNow/
- In the Educational Intent section of the application, select the following options when prompted:
I am applying as: Select “Non-Degree”
Describe your level of education: Select “I am currently enrolled in high school”
Which term are you applying for: Select “Spring 2015 Fairfax Math”
Major: Select “Fairfax Math Dual Enrollment”
Complete the following sections of the non-degree application: Educational Intent, Personal Information, High School, Application Information (required questions only), Application Certification and Honor Code (required questions only) and the Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates.
- Students are expected to personally complete the Dual Enrollment Application. Parents should complete the Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates. Admitted applicants who do not submit the domicile application will be assessed out-of-state tuition rates.
- Request your official high school transcript to be sent to the Office of Non-Degree Enrollment.
- Complete the Course Registration and Payment Form (PDF).
- Return the Course Registration and Payment Form and tuition check to the George Mason University Office of Non-Degree Enrollment no later than February 6, 2015. NOTE: Late admission applications and/or Course Registration and Payment forms will not be accepted. Incomplete applications or forms will not be reviewed. Mason has communicated the availability of this dual enrollment program to all FCPS Student Services and Mathematics Departments and relies upon the high schools to share programmatic information with prospective students.
The Office of Non-Degree Enrollment will notify applicants of their admission decision via U.S. Mail no later than February 20, 2015.
Enrollment Process and Tuition Payment
Upon admission, students will be registered for the appropriate course and the tuition payment check will be processed for the non-refundable $425.00 tuition charge for in-state tuition rates. Students classified as out-of state for tuition purposes will be contacted before being registered for the course. Mason will accept personal checks or money orders for payment. Cash and credit cards will not be accepted. The check or money order must be attached to the Course Registration and Payment form and submitted directly to the Office of Non-Degree Enrollment. Submission of payment to any other office will disqualify the student for dual enrollment admission and registration.
Students and parents are required to provide a valid email address that will be used during the admission review and enrollment process.
Upon course completion, official Mason transcripts are available from the Office of the University Registrar: registrar.gmu.edu.
Student/Parent Point of Contact
All inquiries regarding the Mason-FCPS dual enrollment program should be directed to the Office of Admissions Non-Degree Enrollment staff at: 703.993.9125 or email@example.com.
|Office Location:||213 Johnson Center|
|Office Address:||Non-Degree Enrollment
4400 University Drive, 3A4
Fairfax, VA 22030