International Freshman Application Requirements
October 1 for spring (January) semester
January 15 final deadline for fall (August) semester
Complete Undergraduate International Freshman application for admission
International students may be considered for admission with no SAT or ACT test score via the score optional admission program. This program allows for highly qualified students to be evaluated with no SAT or ACT score. More information can be found on our Score Optional information page.
International applicants to engineering or computer science majors within the Volgenau School of Engineering are required to submit SAT or ACT scores.
Mason students participate in rigorous coursework as part of their university educational experience. Therefore, students at Mason must have a full command of academic English in order to be successful throughout their studies. For this reason, Mason requires applicants to demonstrate English proficiency for admission consideration.
Students who have completed four years (grades 9-12) of college preparatory English at a U.S. secondary school or secondary school in Canada (excluding province of Quebec), United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand with grades of C or better in each English course have demonstrated English proficiency.
Applicants who hold a conferred bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university or recognized university in Canada (excluding Quebec), United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand have demonstrated English proficiency.
All other applicants are required to show further evidence of English proficiency either by scoring at the prescribed level on an English proficiency examination, scoring at the prescribed level of the SAT I/ACT verbal section, or by taking college level English courses in the United States and meet minimum scores set by Mason in order to be considered for admission.
Decisions regarding English proficiency are the sole discretion of the George Mason University Office of Admissions.
Listed below are the English proficiency examinations that Mason accepts and the corresponding minimum score requirements and submission procedures. Individual programs reserve the right to set higher minimum scores. The University will not accept an English proficiency examination scores more than two years old:
- TOEFL iBT: 80 or higher with a minimum of 18 in each subsection. Scores must be sent directly to Mason from ETS. Our testing code is 5827.
- IELTS: 6.5 or higher on the academic exam with a minimum of 6.0 in each subsection. Scores must be sent to Mason directly from the test center. Please contact the IELTS test center where you took the IELTS test and request that your official test scores be sent directly to the Mason Admissions Office. The test center may submit your scores electronically. An institutional code is NOT required.
- Pearson Academic Test of English: A minimum score of 59.
- SAT I Critical Reading: 450 or higher. Official scores must be sent directly from College Board. Mason’s SAT testing code is 5827.
- ACT-English: An ACT-English score of 20 or higher. Official scores must be sent directly from ACT. Mason’s ACT testing code is 4357.
Official test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency. Please make sure you have your scores sent to the Mason Office of Admissions
For those not achieving English proficiency at the time of admission, Mason offers English language and Pathway programs.
Secondary School/High School Records
All applicants are required to submit official, original transcripts as well as official results from any leaving certificates or university entrance exams taken. A certified English translation must be submitted for any documents not already in English. All admission application materials are the property of George Mason University and will not be returned to the applicant, nor shared with another individual, institution or organization under any circumstances. Materials for non-enrolled students will be destroyed.