Senior Citizen Enrollment
Mason welcomes applications from Virginia’s Seniors. Under the terms of the Senior Citizens Higher Education Act of 1974, eligible Virginia residents, 60 years or older with a taxable income of less than $15,000 may apply to take university courses for credit through either non-degree study or degree-seeking study without paying tuition. Senior citizens may register to audit courses regardless of income level.
Thank you for your interest in taking courses at Mason! The procedure for applying to Mason as a senior citizen is exactly the same as the standard procedure for any other student status: you must file your online application, submit academic transcripts from all of your prior colleges, be evaluated, and receive an offer of admission before proceeding with registration. This guide will provide detailed instructions to assist you in filing your application. Admission (even to take courses as a non-degree student) is competitive and is not guaranteed.
Instructions for Applying Online
- Visit our Apply Now web page.
- If you are interested in enrolling in undergraduate courses only, select "Apply for Undergraduate Studies."
If you're interested in enrolling in both graduate and undergraduate courses, please select "Apply for Graduate Studies." Please know that admission to take graduate courses is extremely competitive.
- Select "Create Account" and follow the prompts by submitting the appropriate information. Bear in mind login information for undergraduate and graduate systems aren't interchangeable—they're separate systems.
- Log in to the system by inputting your username and password.
- Select the link to begin your application.
- Fill out the sections appropriate to your area of academic interest. If you are only applying to audit courses without intending to pursue a degree, select that option under "Academic Information" when you reach that section. You will be classified as a non-degree student.
- Please remember to file your application for in-state rates. You must be classified as an in-state student to be eligible to be considered for senior citizen benefits. If you indicate you are not interested in applying, you will automatically be classified out of state and therefore ineligible for benefits.
- After filling out all of the relevant sections select the "Senior Citizen Waiver" under the application fee waiver section and submit your application. You should receive a confirmation email within 48 hours confirming receipt of your application and student identification G-number.
Completing your application
After submitting your online application, you will be required to provide official academic transcripts (sent to Mason directly from all previous colleges) from all of your prior institutions. In order to check the status of your documents:
- Visit our application status page
- Based upon the type of application you submitted, select either undergraduate or graduate.
- Input the login information you created with your application account.
- Your application summary will indicate which items are mandatory or non-mandatory, and which items have been received or are still missing.
- If your application is listed as "complete," you're not required to provide any further documentation.
- A letter will arrive via postal mail informing you of your decision after all required items have been received.
For more information regarding steps after admission, including course registration information and audit information, please visit the Registrar’s webpage: http://registrar.gmu.edu/registration/seniorwaiver.html