George Mason University Office of Military Services

Veteran Education Benefits

Certification Required

To receive education benefits you must be certified, a process that can take up to three months. Your first step is to go to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website and apply for your federal GI Bill® education benefits utilizing their Veteran On-line Application (VONAPP). Applicants for Chapter 31 must meet with a US Department of Veterans Affairs counselor.

Once a student has applied for benefits and registered for classes they will need to submit a Veteran Registration Reporting Form (VRRF) to the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar will then issue a Verfication of Enrollment (VA Form 22-1999) via VA ONCE to inform the VA that the student is enrolled at Mason and requesting education benefits. For more information regarding the veteran enrollment certfication process at Mason please visit the Office of the Registar.

Keep in mind that any veterans’ education benefits you receive must be reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you have specific questions, please contact the US Department of Veterans Affairs' Buffalo Office toll-free at 1-888-442-4551 or go to the US Department of Veterans Affairs web site,

Verify Your Enrollment

Chapter 30, 1607 and 1606 recipients: Once you are certified for your benefits, you must verify your enrollment with the Veterans Administration at the end of each month before you will receive your payment. To verify enrollment, go to the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or call 1-877-823-2378.

Benefit Programs

Eligibility criteria and benefits vary for veterans’ education benefit programs from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). Descriptions of monthly stipends, eligibility periods, financial aid criteria, and the documentation required are described in the links below.

This page took 0.4219 seconds to load.